A ‘monster building’ which was built without planning permission is to be demolished after neighbors won a battle to demolish it.
Gurwinder Singh demolished his own semi-detached house to build a ‘huge’ four-bedroom property in Willenhall which made life ‘hell’ for his neighbours.
Locals in the West Midlands city described it as ‘a travelodge in the middle of a housing estate’ while others branded it ‘monstrous’ and an ‘eyesore’.
Walsall Council served Mr Singh with an enforcement notice last year ordering him to demolish the property following complaints from nearby residents.
Now, the council has again said Mr Singh must demolish his new property after rejecting the homeowner’s application to the planning inspector.
Walsall Council says Gurwinder Singh must pull down his ‘monster mansion’ (pictured) after complaints from nearby residents
Gurvinder Singh demolished his semi-detached house (pictured) in Willenhall to build a four-bedroom ‘monster mansion’
Neighbors say they hope the row can finally be resolved after three years of trying to get the house on the corner of Sandringham Avenue and Arundel Road demolished.
Mr Singh had initially sought planning permission for a minor extension to the 1960s house in 2020 but went a step further and demolished the entire building.
It is thought the new home will cost in the region of £200,000 to build – and will be the largest property in the area.
A neighbour, who did not want to be named, said: ‘We will believe it when we see it because it has been going on for so long.
‘It sticks out like a sore thumb, I’m not sure how they thought they’d ever get away with it.
‘I’ve seen it described as having a travelodge in the middle of a housing estate and I think it sums it up. It’s just so out of place and a real eyesore.
‘We all rallied together to object to this, so hopefully this is the end of the story and the monstrosity can be put down for good.’
Another previously said: ‘I think it’s right that he should tear it up.
‘If someone breaks the rules, why should they run away? The house is bloody huge and looks like a terrifying monster palace.
‘No other house in the area is this big, what on earth was he thinking?’
Neighbors described the ‘monster mansion’ as ‘out of place’ and ‘a tourist spot in the middle of a housing estate’.
Gurwinder Singh had permission to build a modest extension to his 1960s home but went one step further and demolished the entire building.
A third neighbor said: ‘When the house started going up I could hear the neighbors next door whose house is attached actually seeing cracks in their walls.
‘I’m glad the council has now nipped it in the bud before it’s over. It was at least three times the size of the original house. It looks like a sports hall.’
In a decision notice, inspector Andrew McGlone said: ‘The applicant claims that the works carried out on the site are in accordance with planning permission granted by the council on May 17, 2021 (‘2021 permission’) for a two storey side front porch and bay window extension and a single storey front expansion
‘Further, in relation to the outbuilding, the appellant contends that it is permitted development and does not require planning permission.
‘Dimensions, taken on site, and agreed upon between major parties, allowed the parties to compare the floor plan of what was built with the floor plan approved for the 2021 permit.
‘Putting aside the fact that the works are not an extension of the dwelling as it has been demolished, the assessment results confirm that the layout, footprint, scale, mass and appearance of the structure differ from the 2021 permit.
‘Therefore, the appellants have not carried out the development granted by the 2021 permission and there is no other planning permission for the development that has taken place.
‘As a result, there has been a breach of planning control in respect of partially built replacement housing.’
It is believed the new property (pictured) will cost around £200,000 to build
Neighbors say they ‘rallied together’ to object to Gurvinder Singh’s monster mansion
Committee chairman Mike Bird said earlier: ‘This is a very serious situation.
‘Walsall Council’ is going to apply again. When we find out, we will file a case against you.
‘Next door neighbors suffered hell. Cooperation has been lacking since day one so I welcome enforcement.
‘We have been shown to take a stand against people who think they can build whatever they want when it comes to getting planning permission.’
A Walsall Council spokesman said: ‘We can confirm that the planning inspector’s appeal decision dated July 7, 2023 has been received by the local planning authority.
‘The inspector upheld the council’s enforcement notice (with some changes including the compliance period).’
Read Full News Here