Will Netflix follow the BBC and ‘Voice of F1’ Jack Nicholls? The commentator, 33, faces uncertainty over other roles after being sacked from Radio 5 Live and Formula E over allegations of inappropriate touching.
The ‘Voice of Formula 1’ faces an anxious wait over the future of a lucrative presenting deal with Netflix series Drive to Survive after he was sacked by BBC Radio 5 Live over allegations of inappropriate touching.
Jack Nicholls, 33, had already lost a commentary role with Formula E two weeks ago after the electric car racing series investigated claims from three separate individuals.
He was then taken off the air for last month’s Monaco Grand Prix by IMG, which produces the BBC’s F1 radio coverage. But late last week, IMG decided to fire him permanently.
One of the alleged victims is believed to have been a junior colleague of Nicholls with whom she had an affair – breaking Formula E’s code of conduct.
Two other allegations were reportedly made by witnesses. Incidents have reportedly taken place around the world, including in Rome and Cape Town.
Jack Nicholls, 33, had already lost a commentary role with Formula E two weeks ago after the electric car racing series investigated claims by three separate individuals.
Nicholls has covered every F1 race for BBC Radio 5 Live since 2016 and, in 2019, took on a similar role on Drive to Survive.
The show, a behind-the-scenes look at the Formula One World Championship, premiered on March 8, 2019, and was renewed for a fifth and sixth season on May 5 last year.
MailOnline contacted Netflix today to find out about Nicole’s future on the popular show.
Nicholls has been a huge part of the Formula E electric racing series since its launch in 2014 and a familiar voice to fans around the world.
The allegations against him sent shockwaves through the racing community, with many surprised by their nature.
IMG confirmed it had sacked Nicholls on Friday, saying in a statement: ‘We have decided to part ways with Jack Nicholls due to the events leading to his departure from Formula E.’
Nicholls has covered every F1 race for BBC Radio 5 Live since 2016
Formula E has confirmed his exit at the end of May.
A spokesman said: ‘We can confirm that an investigation was carried out in response to allegations of inappropriate behaviour.
‘Subsequently, Jack Nichols’ contract to commentate on the race was terminated.’
Nicholls later said: ‘Although disappointed with the decision, I respect it and I accept why it was taken.
‘I want to take full responsibility for what I have done and apologize unreservedly for some isolated incidents that have made those concerned feel uncomfortable.
‘I never meant any harm and I am committed to making amends and to be more aware of my behavior in the future.’
A graduate of Birmingham City University, Nicholls got his big break in 2011 when he was asked to provide commentary for live FIA Formula 2 TV coverage.
Drive to Survive, which takes a behind-the-scenes look at the Formula One World Championship, premieres on March 8, 2019.
In 2014, he revealed how he dreamed of becoming a racing commentator since childhood.
‘People either want to be commentators or they fall into it, and that was a long time ago for me,’ he told EPD24.
‘At a very young age I would race my toy cars around a track made out of hardboard and comment on it.
‘For some reason it’s something I’ve always wanted to do and it’s the best job for me – what I love about being a commentator is that your job is during the event and you’re making your event exciting, you’re right Karma Puru.’
Nicholls has also commented on football matches and the Winter Olympics.
MailOnline has contacted his representative for comment.
Share or comment on this article:
Read Full News Here