Nick Clegg, Mater’s president of global affairs, is charged with deciding whether to let Donald Trump return to Facebook and Instagram in 2023, Clegg said Thursday.

Speaking at an event in Washington hosted by the news agency Semaphore, Clegg said the company was seriously debating whether to reinstate Trump’s accounts and said it was a decision that “I oversee and I drive”.

Clegg added that when he makes the final call, he will consult with the CEO, Mark Zuckerberg, Facebook’s board of directors and outside experts.

“This is not a playful decision,” he said. “At the two-year point — which is early January next year — we’ll look at real-world damage signals to decide whether Trump will be reinstated on the platform.”

The former president was suspended from several online platforms owned by Meta following the January 6, 2021 Capitol riots, during which Trump used his social media accounts to glorify and perpetuate the violence.

While Twitter banned Trump permanently, Meta suspended Trump’s account for two years, to be re-evaluated later. In May 2021, a temporary ban was upheld by Facebook’s supervisory board – a group of appointed academics and former politicians to act independently of Facebook’s corporate leadership.

However, the board returned the final decision on Trump’s account, advising the company to decide within six months whether to make the ban permanent. Clegg said a decision would be made by 7 January 2023.

Clegg previously served as Britain’s Deputy Prime Minister and joined Facebook as vice-president for global affairs and communications in 2018. In February, he was promoted to the top company policy executive role.

In the years since starting Meta, Clegg has seen the company through several scandals, including scrutiny of its policies during the 2016 US presidential election, Facebook’s role in the persecution of the Rohingya in Myanmar, and revelations about whistleblower Francis. Haugen.

Related Posts

Leave a Comment